The Piston Fund:
A Skilled Trades Scholarship for Automotive Study, Technology, & Restoration
A Transparent, Simple Scholarship Process
Interested Students Apply For Scholarships Funds
If you have a strong interest in working with collector cars and plan to enroll or are enrolled in a two- or four-year automotive technology program, we encourage you to apply for a Piston Foundation scholarship.
Our Scholarship Committee Reviews Applicants
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of their demonstrated interest in a skilled trade career in collector car restoration and their related experience. Academic record, letters of recommendation, and financial need, also contribute to the selection.
We Stay Connected With Our Scholars
Through mentoring, events, and volunteer opportunities we stay connected with our scholars during school and beyond. For those who want to build a career in collector car restoration, a Piston Academy apprenticeship could be a next step.
Scholarship recipients will be selected on the basis of their demonstrated interest in a skilled trade career in collector car restoration and their related experience, as communicated through their personal statement and video essay. Their academic record, letters of recommendation, and financial need will also contribute to the selection of scholarship recipients.
If selected as a scholarship recipient a student will receive up to $5,000 for an academic year. Awards are for undergraduate study only. Students may apply in each scholarship period they are eligible. A student may receive a scholarship award up to two times.
The scholarship committee responsible for reviewing applications and awarding scholarships is made up of Piston Foundation leadership, select Foundation advisors, and industry partners. All applicants agree to accept scholarship committee decisions as final.
Individuals who have a strong interest in pursuing a career in collector car restoration and service may apply to our automotive trades scholarship program if they meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Be full-time U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Be high school graduates or GED recipients, or current college undergraduates
- Plan to enroll in undergraduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college or vocational-technical school in the U.S.
- Be pursuing an associate or vocational-technical degree or certification in one of the following skilled trade categories:
- Automotive technology
- Motorsports vehicle technology
- Automotive restoration
- Demonstrate financial need
Application Dates & Deadlines
Piston Fund automotive trades scholarships are awarded twice per year.
|Application Open||Application Deadline||Award Announcements|
|Fall||June 1, 2022||July 31, 2022||August, 2022|
|Spring||Announcing Soon||Announcing Soon||Announcing Soon|
An application period closes at 11:59PM ET on the application deadline date. An application is not considered complete until all required materials have been submitted electronically.
Mar 15, 2022
May 15, 2022
July 15, 2022
Sept 15, 2022
Nov 15, 2022
Jan 15, 2023
How to Apply
Individuals can apply for a Piston Fund scholarship through our online application.
- Register for an account and verify your email address.
- Complete all application questions.
- Submit a personal statement about your interest in a career working with collector cars. Minimum length is 500 words.
- Submit two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a non-family teacher, supervisor, or mentor.
- Submit a complete transcript of grades.
- Submit a video essay about you and your interests in collector cars. No rules. Share a project, talk about your favorite cars, or tell us about your dream job. Maximum length is five minutes.
Required Application Materials
The following materials are required to be submitted electronically along with your completed online application before you can be considered for an award.
- Personal statement. Minimum length is 500 words.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Complete transcript of grades.
- Video essay. Maximum length is five minutes.
Apply for a Piston Fund Scholarship
Our mission is to bring more people into the collector car industry and help them build rewarding careers.
If you plan to enroll or are enrolled in a two- or four-year automotive technology program, have a strong interest in working with collector cars, and meet the eligibility requirements, we encourage you to apply for a Piston Foundation scholarship.
Scholarship applications are currently closed.
Sign up to be notified when the application window opens for 2023.
From the Piston Blog
Advice for Future Collector Car Technicians
Speedsport Tuning took offers advice to men and women who want to build careers in the skilled trades of the collector car industry.
Appreciating the Craft of Automotive Restoration
Apprentice Kira Mundhenk shares her insights into the preparation that goes into each vehicle restoration. Each restoration can take years to complete.
Training the Next Gen of Automotive Restoration the MPI Way
Jim Wallner, operations manager with Motion Products, Inc. (MPI), is using his skills to help ensure the future of automotive restoration.
Sign up for our monthly email with stories, updates, and volunteer opportunities.